Cybernetica AS Department of Navigation Systems

6 Remarkable Estonian Lighthouses

100 of the historically most important lighthouses throughout the world have been selected by the International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA) for preservation. Three Estonian lighthouses are on this list! Why did preservation of the old lighthouses became actual?
- Modern automation
- There are no resident staffs any more
- The lighthouses tend to deteriorate quickly

Dagerort Kõpu (Dagerort)
The first Estonian lighthouse, finished in 1531. During the centuries, on the dark half of the year open fire was kept on the top of it's stone tower to provide light signals to the navigators.
Kokskär Keri (Kokskär)
First built during the reign of the Russian Zar Peter the Great among the first lighthouses rounding the Finnish gulf (1719), modernized in 1858. First lighthouse lantern in the world to use the natural gas (1907 - 1912).
Pakerort Pakri (Pakerort)
Built by the Russian Zar Peter the Great in 1724. The new red brick lighthouse tower which is the tallest on Estonian coastal line was built in 1889.
Runö Ruhnu (Runö)
The present lighthouse was built in 1877. It's iron components were shipped from Le Havre, France. Today, the Ruhnu lighthouse is powered by modern monitoring equipment, produced in Estonia and bearing the ekta™ logo.
Surupe Suurupi
The lower one of the two Suurupi lighthouses is the oldest remaining wooden lighthouse in Estonia (built in 1859, lantern chamber finished in 1885).
Tackerort Tahkuna (Tackerort)
This lighthouse is the highest cast-iron tower in Estonia (43 m). It was designed and built by the British engineer Gordon in Paris; the components were shipped to Estonia and assembled in 1873.

ekta™  Home         ekta™ Marine Products         ekta™ LED Products        The Library

© 2001 Cybernetica. Last updated 2001-08-16